Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

To Dare

Last year's flowers - hope I get them again this year!
The patio looked bright and inviting in the morning sun. It looked warm and just the place to have breakfast. But was it? It’s been cool most days this last week. Suspicious about this Victoria weather, I hesitated. My hand hovered above my cell phone ready to check the temperature. I stopped while remembering something a man had said a few months ago in response to the question ‘what’s the weather like outside?’. Without missing a beat, he said - ‘Step outside and you’ll find out!’ I don’t recall where I was, what the weather was like or even if I was involved in the conversation.

So, squaring my shoulders, I stepped outside and was greeted by a lovely, lovely warm spring day without a hint of wind. My container gardens needed care - watering, stirring the dirt with my little fork, checking to see which plants made it through the winter and which needed putting in the compost heat. Two daffodils were poking little green shoots through dry soil, so I attended to them. I spread wildflower seeds in my larger container garden, just in one corner. Washing out drip trays, washing winter wind dust from the table and chairs and sweeping the patio felt good. A thin strip of spider web was sacrificed for a tidy, peaceful part of my home. I completely forgot about my breakfast until the patio looked ready for sunshine and lovely days. As satisfaction set in, my stomach growled reminding me of my original goal. I brought my delicious granola and a glass of cold coconut milk into the sun and felt at one with my little world.

“Fortune sides with him who dares.”
~ Virgil

No comments: