Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Salt Spring Island She Shed Tour 2018 - #3

The second stop, #3 on the She Shed program, was ’Amarah’s Artland', Amarah calls it her Shabby Shed and was a bit difficult to locate on this sprawling property full of gardens with plants of all kinds. But following the sound of women’s voices busily chatting, as well as a call ’who’s home’, we were directed down the correct path and ushered into a She Shed full of  artworks of all sizes, brushes, storage boxes filled with all manner and colour of paints. Every wall was full of finished large and small paintings with larger paintings propped against the walls. The most stunning discovery for me was three still life’s of single sweet peppers, each one a different colour. My hand stayed off of my wallet and I stepped away to examine Amarah’s selection of art cards. Her artistry, while brilliant and lively was not to my taste - except for the trio of sweet peppers. She also had collaged some ordinary plastic chairs with words, phrases and names from old magazines. A collaged chair she seemed most proud of were all names of women from a specific woman’s magazine - the writers, producers, and contributors.

I must admit that as I was on this tour, I had not yet thought of doing a series of blog posts about the trip. It started out to be only an interesting and fun day with friends. I usually write only one post on events or places that I attend. Consequently, my pictures seem quite insufficient, but all taken while we toured about for this very important fundraiser for Saltspring Women Opposed to Violence and Abuse. 

“Art and life are subjective Not everybody’s gonna 
dig what I dig, but I reserve the right to dig it.”
~ Whoopi Goldberg

You can find more information about Amarah Gabriel at saltspringisland.com.

No comments: