Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Five Things I Know for Sure about Nourishment

  1. I like eggs - eggs a perfect food, wrapped in their own containers, have nourished most of us since childhood. Eggs cooked in any form, especially scrambled, comfort food for any time of day or night. Scrambled eggs are soft and warm and delicious. When they are spiced up and blended with rice or eaten along side fresh tomatoes, they are even more delicious. Egg sandwiches, devilled eggs, eggs Benedict, eggs over easy or basted………the choices are endless. 
  1. As far as meat goes, I know I don’t need that much or that often, but do love a good steak, grilled or barbecued, still pink in the middle. Roast beef stuffed with garlic and roasted slowly. Beef chunks stewed companionably with carrots, onions and potatoes, glossy gravy keeping them all together. Chicken and fluffy dumplings, meatballs coated in tomato atop spaghetti. Each dish giving the nourishment that only red meat can give.
  1. In light of #2 and with apologies to vegetarians, I know for sure that I am a carnivore.
  1. Preparing food is part of the nourishment I need for a successful life. Planting and harvesting so I can watch food grow in front of my eyes and then bring it all to my table. Peeling, cutting, arranging any ingredients gives me a feeling of satisfaction when I sit down to eat. Yes, I could go to the store for all the same foods, and sometimes do, but close connection with the earth would be missing. I do only have a few small container gardens, but it still keeps me connected to this earth.
  1. The aroma of baking bread, the taste of fresh bread is a link with the past and present, with a promise of future goodness. Even greater is kneading bread dough with my own two hands, shaping it into loaves, and putting two almost perfect loaves on a rack to cool. The whole process is nourishment for my soul. (The nourishment to my body can be a bit overdone with the bread is eaten in quantity.)
“I act with complete certainty. But this certainty is my own.”
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty

No comments: