Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Time's Up - A Mouse's Story

My next bit of writing is also from this past Friday’s writing group. In turn, each person hosting provides the rest of our small group with a timed writing exercise. 

Yesterday’s writing exercise was one of my favourites. Our host had prepared slips of paper with three words written on them. She had chosen them from one of the many online sites that generate three random words each time the button is clicked. The timing for this, as is usual, was 10 minutes to write something built on or around the three words. My three words:  Liberty, Mouse and Cake. The first two sentences, in italics, I added this morning to satisfy my personal blog post parameter to use one letter from April's theme of Authenticity to begin the opening sentence. What follows is my stream of consciousness containing Liberty, Mouse and Cake:

Time's Up - A Mouse's Story.

Exciting adventures and treasure hunts, especially when you’re a tiny mouse living in the walls of an ancient hovel, are ever present. Let me tell you of my most recent adventure and the treasure I found. I am quite a handsome mouse. I know this because I see myself each time I scuttle past the shiny glass in the hallway just as I come out from inside the walls. If the cat is not home, I take the liberty to stop and examine myself from head to tail, preening my beautiful mouse ears and admiring the length of my tail. My grey coat shines. Mother grooms and brushes it each morning before she lets me go adventuring through the old house. When I have assured myself, once again, that I am indeed the most handsome mouse in the litter, I go off to the big room where there is a feast waiting for me. At least if I get there first. In the morning, before the gigantic, noisy sucking machine comes rolling in, there are crumbs. Delicious crumbs that seem to have fallen from heaven just for me. Bits of cheese and meat. Dry and crunchy but still traces of oils that I love. This morning I was rewarded with cake! Dark brown and delicious. Not just a crumb but a piece of cake almost bigger than me. I nibbled at it until I got to the soft moist centre……………………..and that’s when our ten minutes were up!

“It’s all just a bit of fun….”
~ Mark Waters, The Enchantment of Abigail Brown

No comments: