Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Only a Hop, Skip and. a Jump - On Skates

All the way to this fall. Am I talking about hockey too soon? Maybe, if it was only a hockey game. I have enjoyed hockey games from minor to major leagues. The cut of blades on ice. The whistle of the referee. The slap of hockey sticks against the boards. But I’ve never been a fan of the muscle that is unleashed on ice in the middle of a game. Helmets off and fists flying.

I’m also not a fan of active addiction, whether to alcohol, prescription drugs or illicit drugs, untreated or poorly managed mental health. Unfortunately, what is unleashed is not only muscle but much more serious and life threatening issues. Families shattered, depression, suicide……..I could go on, but you get the picture.

Last evening I attended the AGM for the Umbrella Society for Addictions and Mental Health. The Umbrella Society is dedicated to longterm housing in recovery homes, as well as supporting recovery from these dreadful conditions. Acceptance, encouragement, paramount for these relapsing conditions, is unconditionally offered to scores of those working towards good health and happiness. While still in my nursing career in detox I had many opportunities to work alongside the many frontline staff from Umbrella in their outreach programs. Each one was and has been dedicated to their clients in their recovery. Retirement has meant that I’ll no longer work with them in that capacity, however gaining membership in the Society last night changes all that for me.

My words are minuscule, compared to the ripples that The Umbrella Society on Addictions and Mental Health has made in this community. They have elevated a community of individuals suffering from their various health conditions, whether addictions or mental health, to communities of healthy individuals that live, work and play with clarity and sobriety. These journeys are long and arduous. Yet the Umbrella Society has continued to believe in these folks who have not felt belief from themselves or anyone else for a very long time.

On that note: Come to a Charity Hockey Game in October! The Boston Bruins against the Greater Victoria Firefighters. I’m not a huge fan of hockey, even though I was born, raised and live in Canada. I am definitely a fan of The Umbrella Society for Addictions and Mental Health.

“Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is 
that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love? 
What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!”
~ Anne Frank

No comments: