Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

Voting Day

I went to school today. My umbrella dripping, wet shoes squeaking on the tile floors of a hallway decorated with student art work. I passed an orderly classroom of boys and girls hard at work at round tables, their teacher circulating the room, pausing over their work. The gymnasium had been turned over to Elections Canada. I blame the cold, gray and dripping skies for our small turnout, although I do know that there were many, many Canadians who voted in the early ballots. My hope today, besides a successful election of politicians committed to the health and wellbeing of Canadians, was that those children will be inspired by this stream of voters to become the voters of the future. Time will only tell what those outcomes will be. Home from this drippy damp journey a couple of hours ago, it is still raining and cold. I am now warm and dry. Voting is important to me, and definitely more important than being warm and dry. That can come later. To add my silent voice, inked on this federal election ballot, feels just as comforting.

“Every election is determined by the people who show up.”
~ Larry J. Sabato,  Pendulum Swing

No comments: