Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 74 - Domestic Life - Situationally Theirs

Hatley Castle, Victoria, BC
Review, Edit and Update:
I learned something new today: the name of the accountant: Mr. Gerald Winston. It had been nestled in this little scene since writing this on June 6th. His name has been added to my ever-growing list of details for this story. 

Most of my editing has been to flesh out, once more, the scenes around the dialogue. There were times when even I, who had written this story, didn't know who was really speaking. For that I apologize to all of my readers.
Other than that, only one or two typos that were fixed.

Domestic Life

“What did I just hear,….‘leave James at home and go exploring ourselves’?” James Edward Digby, butler of the Beaufort Estate called out from the mudroom. Martha Haverstock, housekeeper for the Estate and Elizabeth, cook for the Estate had not even heard his car drive up or the back door open. 

“My goodness James, where did you come from?! You surprised us. I just about dropped my teacup.” Martha smiled fondly at James. “I’d never leave you at home. That was just Elizabeth talking. I didn’t agree to it and anyway, such a trip is impossible with the state of affairs these days.”

“Tea, James? Have you got time? There’s a fresh cake waiting to be cut. It’s cooled enough that we can all have a bite. I’ll just get some raspberries out of the fridge. Would you get out some plates, forks and the cake knife while you’re up, James? Martha, you’re……..you already have the napkins out. ” Cook set the fresh vanilla cake on the table. She went back to the refrigerator for the raspberries, returning with the tart-sweet red fruit. 

“I do have time, Elizabeth. I’m expecting Miss Emelina shortly, but tea and cake would hit the spot." James took his briefcase into his office and returned to the table. "Raspberries would make it all that much better. Now. What were the two of you talking about?” 

Martha separated out the plates. Cook put a generous piece of cake on each plate. James accepted his and spooned raspberries on the cake, drizzling a bit of the juice over it all. “Elizabeth asked me where I would like to go and I said either a castle in Scotland or the Biltmore House in North Carolina. To maybe stay in a castle and see what Downstairs was like in the 1800’s.”

Swallowing a bite of cake and raspberries, James posed a question “Have either of you ever been to Craigdarroch Castle? Do you even know where it is?" He paused long enough for another bite of cake. "This cake is delicious, Elizabeth! I hope you didn’t make it for anything special, because I think I’ll just have a second piece.”

“Craigdarroch Castle? Where is it?” Elizabeth looked puzzled.

Martha poured more tea for each of them “I had forgotten all about that castle, James. Joanie took the children there last summer when they went down to Victoria." Joanie, Martha's daughter had given Martha two grandchildren: five year old Abby and nine year old Ben. Martha smiled, remembering the flood of stories from the children after their visit 'to the real castle Grandma!'. "Do you think it would be open to the public yet? And there’s another castle in Victoria - Hatley Castle. Do you suppose the three of us could take a day trip down there one day…that’s if they’re open to the public?”

Digby pushed his raspberry stained plate away, placing his fork neatly across the household china. “You’re right, Martha. If I’m not mistaken they were both built in 1890 by a man by the name of James Dunsmuir. There’s quite bit of history on this island. Travel being what it is these days, we really can’t go far and really don’t need to.”

Elizabeth looked to the back door. “Sounds like another car.”

“Thank you Giles. I’ll put the car away if you want to get home. I’ve got my own keys.” Emelina Beaufort had just stepped in the backdoor. She called out “Digby, are you in the kitchen?”

“Yes, Miss Emelina. Cook and Martha are here as well. We’re just having tea and cake." Cook set out another tea cup, plate and fork. James continued. "It's freshly baked cake and raspberries. Do you have time to sit for a bit before we talk business?”

“Mmmmmmm…I always have time for Cook’s cake, and especially with raspberries. I’d love a cup of tea. We can talk business later.” Emmie came into the kitchen and pulled out the nearest chair.

~~~~~

“Now to business. How can I help you, Mrs. Beaufort?” Digby felt a bit nervous. He had been concerned that his services would no longer be needed or at least his hours would be cut. This had been his home for all his life. He really didn’t know what he would do. Would his Estate pension and government pensions be enough? Would he and Martha be able to get married or would they just ‘live in sin’ as the young people say?

“Digby, is there anything wrong? Just for a second you got a worried look on your face?” Emelina had momentarily looked up at Digby.

“Oh, nothing, Miss Emelina. You wanted know about the accountant, was that it?” James didn't often struggle for words, but he didn't want to bring up his own worries.

“Yes, but there is something else. First of all, stop worrying." Emmie had already sensed Digby's worry. She decided to address it right away. "You had a tense look on your face again. So, I have a question for you: Do all my questionings about the running of the Estate make you uncomfortable?”

James paused a long time before answering. “Well, yes they do. I am beginning to think you have lost faith in me. No, that’s not quite right. I feel like you may be considering doing away with my position. There. I’ve said it out loud. Yes I am worried."

Emmie sat back in her the small tub-chair by Digby's old oak desk. Her next words were full of emotion. “Oh Digby, that is the farthest thing from my mind. I need you here more than ever. You and your father have been much more that butlers. This Estate has been run by your expert hands. When Michael was alive, he always seemed involved with you in the running of things. That’s all I want to do. Be involved in things here. I don’t want to make decisions without talking them over with you.”

Digby smiled and relaxed. “That is good to hear. You have changed so much - like you’ve grown up or woken up - since you and your sister have become family again, I haven’t been able to tell what you might be thinking.”

“I still have a lot to learn. Sometimes I really am overwhelmed by it all and by letting the last five years go by without a thought." Emmie was quiet as she tried to remember her life before she and her sister reunited. Then she gathered herself together and sat up straight. "Doing away with your position? Definitely not. This afternoon I would like the accountant’s contact number. I do have one other addition, or change that I want your advice on. I’m taking Brigitte on as a sort of Personal Assistant. She'll be spending all her time with me, so won’t be able to take care of her cleaning duties. Can we hire another person to fill that spot? Or do you have some other solution? Is this something that you would ordinarily speak with the accountant about?”

"Not necessarily. He would need to be informed of course, of any monetary changes. In this case, the addition of more staff. He would tell me of any difficulties." Digby flipped through the rolodex on his desk, wrote down the name, address and phone number for Mr. Gerald Winston, the accountant. Digby passed the card to Emmie with the information. He returned to their previous conversation. “You have eased my mind, Miss Emelina. I am always available to talk over anything with you. I will also talk with Martha and see if there’s someone she knows that can come in to clean and how often. We shouldn’t need someone full time, so we can keep costs down.”

Emmie slipped Mr. Winston's information into the daytimer that had become her constant companion. “Thank you, Digby. And please. No more worrying about the security of your position. For the rest of the afternoon, I’ll be up in my room if anyone needs anything. Just call up the stairs when you leave for the day.” Emelina wanted to reach out and pat James on the shoulder, but did not. 

~~~~~

Out in the kitchen, Cook had put away the afternoon’s lunch. Martha was busying herself with the Housekeeping books. Emmie stepped out of Digby's office. “Ladies. I’m going up to my room now. Cook, can I take a piece of that cake with me? Just cake and a glass of milk. I’ll come down later and get some real food at supper time. When you leave for the day, just call upstairs. It does get awfully quiet in here when I’m the only one here.” Emelina accepted the cake from Cook, turned and walked to the stairs, “Thank you, Cook.” At the foot of the stairs, she stopped, looked up to the second floor and said…. “I really must do something about the quiet." and continued up the stairs.

“Every moment happens twice: inside and outside, 
and they are two different histories,”
~ Zadie Smith, White Teeth

No comments: