Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 98 - Too Much with Us - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update:
Revisioning is an interesting practice, involving re-thinking or what I may have been trying to say. Did it make sense? Was I putting apples and oranges in the same sentence or paragraph? If I was how are they both important or should one be tossed away? 

This has been the work that I've done on this episode. Some deletions of extraneous words, and additions of words that supported the scene and/or dialogue. With a lot of breaks in between to let all the words stir around in my head, while I move books from box to book shelf, or to make my lunch.


Too Much with Us

Every list should include something a little frivolous. Grocery lists, errand lists, any list. For some it may only be a single chocolate. For others it may be a brand new, and quite unnecessary, drill bit. For others still, a new paint brush or a new tube of paint. For Dez, who had set that rule for herself, today her addition to her errand list was a new straw hat - like Samuel’s straw hat. She knew it would never look as worn and full of wisdom as Samuel’s, but she hoped it would be a good start. There were only three other items on her list - cancel her order for bees, contact Digby about the varieties of apples in the orchard and begin her DIY project for the beehives. As with most other lists, she was able to check off the first one, part of the second one, but the third one was more difficult. Dez felt quite successful, until she realized she had created two more lists. She did have to follow up with Digby later that day for what he uncovered about the orchard, but she had expected that detail. But the beehive project? First she went on Youtube for the project. Then she hit a very solid wooden wall. She had to decide what kind of wood to use. “What kind of wood? Don’t you just take some wood and nail it together and let the bees figure it out?” Talking aloud to herself as though she expected an answer to materialize in front of her, Dez found another piece of note paper and, much to her chagrin, started a third list. “So it’s just not any old wood and a few nails, but screws. I need to get back to Samuel with these plans and supply lists to see if the Estate already has some of this stuff.” She was almost ready to quit. To call a halt to this whole project. To apologize to Emmie for having such an unworkable idea. So ridiculous! Project manager of an orchard and a two beehive apiary. She could never do it all and she’d return her hat to the store before she even wore it. But Dez thought she’d try it on one more time before she stuffed it back in the store bag and return it. “What do you think, Miss Eliot? Do you want to look like a real farmer or do you want to act like a real farmer?………..I’m talking to myself again. I wonder where Emmie is?” Dez picked up her cell phone and tapped in a text message to Emmie. Pushing her hat back on her head, she went into the kitchen and set up a canvas on her easel. It was blank, so she just stared at it. She was about to open up her paint when Emmie’s text tone rang - the opening strains of Beethoven’s Fifth symphony was a prelude to her message to Dez: ‘I’m on my way home. Come out for supper and stay the night so we can talk.

~~~~~

Emmie had been on her feet all day. Her original over the top ideas about having health care workers board in her home, a soup kitchen out of her house, delivering meals into town - all without consulting the staff - had been dashed when all the details of each plan were too much, too fast. Emmie still wanted to help out somehow. Dr. Jeremy Crawford, a physician at the hospital, had put her in touch with the only homeless shelter still open. So many memories surfaced when he had made a surprise to the Estate one day. Memories and longings. She was hesitant to maintain contact, but he was an old friend from days when neither of them were widowed. The two couples had frequently had many enjoyable times socializing with each other. 

At the homeless shelter, which provided brown bag lunches and occasionally hot take out meals, Emmie had been doing shifts for about two weeks, coming home each night exhausted. Setting up Covid19 precautions, she designated the front door as entrance for her only. Besides setting a precautionary measure, she had immediate access to her shower. It was only when showered and in clean clothes, that she would come down to the kitchen. Tonight when she came down, Dez had already set the table for them both. “Cook’s gone home. She’s left us a good meal, Emmie. Baked chicken, roast potatoes and creamed corn. There’s salad on the table and fresh scones. The kettle’s on for tea.” Dez looked up. “You look exhausted Emmie! What have you been doing?”

“Oh Dez. I’m so glad you’re here. I haven’t seen you for a couple of weeks. Remember that volunteering Jeremy told me about at the homeless shelter? Have you ever heard of hitting the ground running? I have run so many miles to serve so many unfortunate people and then I come home to this luxury. I feel almost guilty, but know I shouldn’t.” Emmie face was wet with tears. She dried her face with her napkin. “Now tell me what you’ve been up to. Did you tell me you’d bought a new hat? You don’t even wear hats, Dez. Did you bring it with you?” Emmie started to laugh “Oh my goodness. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t laugh. I’m just so tired and you look like Samuel’s much younger sister!”

~~~~~

The two sisters were hungry and ate all that Cook had left for them. She had already put away some of the chicken, at the back of the fridge, so she would be sure of leftovers for chicken salad the next day. As for the pie Dez had served to herself and Emmie, she wasn't absolutely certain the pie was for them, but Cook told her - 'If I haven't got it hidden from sight, help yourself!' So Dez did as she was told. She found an apple pie - in the fridge, front and centre - cut them each a modest slice and served it up. Now that those plates were clean, she was ready for a second, but only a sliver. Before serving herself, she offered more to her sister. “Have more pie, Emmie?”  Emmie sat back in her chair contentedly. “No, I am absolutely full to the brim. Another cup of tea though. Do you really think the orchard and apiary projects are too big for you?” In their dinner conversation, Dez had brought up her concerns about the overwhelming feelings she had with all that was needed.

Dez thought a moment before saying “No maybe not. I think I was surprised. It kind of tipped me off balance when I was at home. It’s a lot more work than I realized, Emmie. I just got kind of scared that I’d disappoint you and you’d see how unrealistic my suggestions had been. I guess I thought ………. I don’t know what I thought……but it will take more time than I had planned. Samuel reminded me of that. I may be spending more time out here than I thought.”

“Dez. Really. Stay out here as much as you want or need to. And if you need help out in the orchard or with the bees, we just hired a teenager to do some cleaning work - you’ve met Joey haven’t you? He might be able to help out - check with Digby to see if we’d be able to pay him anything. If Joey can’t help then maybe he has a friend  who needs a little bit of work?”

They cleaned up the kitchen, took their tea upstairs and sat in the living room, still discussing all their comings and goings. When the clock on the mantle struck 2 a.m. and they couldn't keep their eyes open any longer, they took themselves off to bed.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are 
tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: