Pages

Monday, August 17, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 142 - A Letter to Lily - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update
Before reviewing an episode, I always look at the word count to see how much time I might need to set aside. This one looked like it may take some time. There were over 1200 words to go through. From the title I knew I would be reading Elizabeth's letter to her sister, but forgot that I had merely taken dictation from her. I did correct a couple of misspellings (don't tell on me), but didn't dare change anything else. 

A Letter to Lily

Some of us still write letters. ‘Snail mail’ is what people have called it since the postal pace was slowed by the advent of email. Mary Elizabeth Saunders, on Vancouver Island, and her sister Lily (Lillian Henrietta Saunders), in England, also part of an island, had been exchanging letters for many years. Friends and family alike had insisted that email was much better. Faster and easier, but the sisters liked to hand write their letters. Part of the ritual was folding the letter, whether one page or three pages, so it fit in an envelope. ‘Sealing with a kiss’ was what they each said when they licked the seal for the envelope. They missed each other but knew that their separate lives were right for each of them. Choosing a stamp - local flowers was the most popular and at Christmas and Easter, the stamps were poinsettias or lilies. For these two sisters, writing a letter was not just the words that they wrote but the care they took in creating a lovely little packet.

~~~~~

The kitchen was still awfully quiet. Martha and James had returned from their honeymoon and were catching up on how the household had managed without them. Martha did have time to tell Elizabeth, almost all the details of their honeymoon. Elizabeth was pretty certain sure she would get more interesting details as time went on but for now, she respected both Martha’s and James’ privacy. It was time to write a letter to her sister, Lily. She hadn’t written for a several weeks, since before the wedding in mid July. She had had one letter from her since, talking mostly about her new grandson who was growing fast. There wasn’t much else to tell except pandemic restrictions in England were not much different than on the Island.

Dearest Lily, 
Thank you for your last letter. It sounds like little Clayton is growing like a weed. Thank you for the new picture of Clayton with his proud grandpa. I was right about Charlie being all proud - the look on his face told it all. And you? Are you the proud and happy grandma I think you are? The two of you didn’t think you would have any grandchildren, but here you are with little Clayton. Babies come along when any of us least expects it.

You may not have much else to tell, but I can make up with all my news. My goodness, the changes around here almost makes my head spin. If it wasn’t for Samuel - I’ve told you about him before, he’s the gardener - I think I would be a little crazy by now. Martha and James are now Mr. and Mrs. When they got back from their little honeymoon, they just moved right into their cottage. They had it all ready - furniture, dishes, drapes, everything. Martha has a renter for her place - Brigitte Smithson - but I’ll tell you more about her later. I don’t know anything about what James is doing with his house - selling it or renting it. But, they did have a lovely, lovely wedding. Everything went perfectly, even the weather cooperated although if the rains had come down, Miss Emelina - that’s Mrs. Beaufort - said we’d move the whole wedding and reception to the Upstairs. Can you imagine that? Old Mrs.Beaufort never would have allowed ‘the help’ to get married on the front lawn and would have had a stroke letting the wedding be held in the Upstairs. She was such so strict about keeping the Upstairs and Downstairs separate. I’m sure glad that’s done with, thanks to Miss Emelina. 


There’s another change because of Miss Emelina. Remember me telling you about the young woman that was the upstairs cleaner and a kind of nursemaid to Miss Emelina when she was down so hard in her sadness? Miss Emelina has got so healthy that she has Brigitte Smithson - that’s the cleaner/nursemaid - be her Personal Secretary! So she hasn’t any time to clean properly. Lily, I went upstairs one day to put away some of the fancier china and there was dust on everything. The floor hadn’t been swept since I don’t know when. When I asked Brigitte about it, she was almost in tears about it. Well, I told her to ask Miss Emelina to hire someone to help her out. And she did! Those two always have their heads together about what I don’t know, but not long after, James (that’s Digby the butler) hired somebody. Seems Brigitte knew of a young man that needed a summer job. Only sixteen years old and the nicest young man you ever want to meet. And that’s not all - Joey Tucker’s his name - this young man heard Miss Emelina talking about a little garden and he asked if he could take care of it. So rides his bike the five miles out from Hartley, cleans all the upstairs spotless, has some lunch - I always make sure he eats a good lunch - and then goes out to the garden. He and Samuel get along just fine and Samuel teaches him all about gardening. Well, I’ll just bet you think that’s enough. Only a couple of days ago, Miss Dez - that’s Miss Emelina’s sister - needed help in the orchard. Some of the apples are ready to pick and she was all in tizzy about how she was going to do it all. Samuel just told her to ask if someone could be hired. And who do you think got the job? Joey. And his friend from town. They’ve got a lot to learn but, I’ll be getting apples more regular this year.

And the best thing I want to tell you is about Samuel. We’ve known each other for years and become good friends. I make sure he has a good lunch when he’s working so hard in the garden. All the vegetables he grows and brings me, he deserves a good meal. He comes up for coffee and a bite of cake in the middle of the morning. Starts out in that garden with the birds. Don’t know how he does it. One day, a long time ago, I noticed his shirt was missing a couple of buttons. I told him to give me the shirt and I’d fix it for him. I washed it and sewed new buttons on. I just told him to bring me his laundry and I’d do it while I was at work. I didn’t ask Digby or Martha if it was alright, but nobody has ever said anything about it so I just keep on. But that’s not the best thing. One evening - this was a few day after the wedding -  I was at home alone as usual and there was a knock at the door. Nobody ever comes to my door, so I got out my rolling pin and was ready to defend myself. But it was Samuel! He was all dressed up in his clothes from Martha and James' wedding and looking so good, I barely recognized him. He took me out for supper at the beach! We had hamburgers and sat and talked all evening.

This old Beaufort place I thought was on it’s last legs, has perked up and is busy, busy. That Covid virus has made life awful bad for a lot of people, but thanks be, we’ve not been touched except for some annoying restrictions, wearing some masks and keeping our hands clean. Lots better than what too many folks have to deal with. 

That’s about all, Lily. 
You and Charlie and that little grandson stay well,
And the rest of your family,
All my love,
Elizabeth

“Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.”
~ Lord Byron

No comments: