Pages

Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Day Muse

Christmas morning came early

The sun barely risen


In homes ‘cross the country

Children awoke……………………..


This is silly! I can’t write a great rhyming poem. But I did have a great first Christmas in snowy Regina since returning to my home province! All usual early morning routines were thrown out. Well, except for feeding the cat. On my way, trudging the few steps to my son's home, I had a sort of a flashback way back to when I was a kid. In a busy, noisy family on Christmas mornings, after all the Santa presents were examined in great detail, cleaned up - sort of - and breakfast was being prepared, dad picked up our grandparents for a Christmas breakfast. That was my flashback - now I was the grandparent walking the few steps to my son and his girlfriend's home for breakfast. Wow! How time does fly!


There is more story to tell in each family about Christmas mornings. So many differences and as many similarities. But mainly, aside from any sacred traditions that some families practice, Christmas and other winter holidays, celebrate family togetherness. 2020 has not been a great year for family togetherness. Yes, it’s been a struggle, it’s been scary but on balance humanity’s creativity in this age of technology has kept us all connected. We Zoom and Skype and Facetime and send ecards and message and text and when all else fails, we send messages into the Universe and up to the heavens. We’re tougher than any old virus just by staying apart and believing in our own strengths, the strength of family and of friends.


Merry Christmas everyone!


“Isn’t everyone a part of everyone else?”

~ Budd Schulberg, screenwriter, novelist, journalist

(1914 - 2009)


 

No comments: