Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2021

A Hometown Memory

A Hometown Memory


“Overblown optimism is annoying and frustrating.” The newscaster when on to say that “There should be no room for any optimism when things have gotten worse even after the vaccine had been released. Jack got up and clicked the remote off and dropped it abruptly on the mahogany table. His wife, Eileen, came into the living room. “Why did you turn the TV off, Jack? Here’s your coffee - weren’t we going to watch the news before our walk?” 


“Leeni, you know how I’m always at you about being too sunshiny all the time? Well now I am sick and tired of hearing all the doom and gloom from that blasted noise box. Let’s take our coffee back to the kitchen before I do it some violence.” Jack took his coffee from his wife, who was smiling at her husband's annoyance. She was used to him talking back to newscasters and being an armchair quarterback to just about everyone on TV. 


“There are fresh muffins on the table ready for your regular taste test, dear. But let me change the subject back to optimism - or sunshiny as you call it. I’m o.k. with being upbeat about things, Jack. Too much?” Eileen sat down at the table. Picking up a muffin, she slowly peeled the paper away, a few crumbs dropping on the table cloth. “There does need to be a balance.” She passed a muffin to her husband, tilted her head and continued. “Certainly, there are times when I get my rose coloured glasses on and get a little too sunshiny. Then I remember a movie we saw together years ago. Do you remember our first date?”


“Of course I do, Leeni. It was the first time I’d asked any girl out and I didn’t even think you’d go out with me. I sure remember how pretty you looked but I don’t really remember the movie.” Jack almost blushed! “What was the movie? Did I like it?”


“The movie was the Bells of St.Mary’s and I think it was made in 1945, but it didn’t get to our little town until it was probably 10 years old. And no, you didn’t really like it. Nuns and a priest and singing, but it was the only movie in town and I wanted to see it.” Leeni patted her husband’s hand. He curled his fingers around hers. “And I’d still take you to it, Leeni. Even if Bing Crosby was in it. But what was it about that movie that has anything to do with optimism? That you met and married the most charming man in town?”


Eileen did blush, leaned forward and kissed her husband. “In fact, Bing Crosby was the singing priest, but that’s not what was important - except for the charming boy I was with. I don’t remember the whole movie just an older nun saying to a younger nun - ‘It’s important to have faith, as long as it’s not blind faith’ Probably not exactly right, but that’s the balance I was talking about. Then I get to take my rose coloured glasses off and put them away. Keep my optimism to myself - and keep the charming young man to myself.”


“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.”

~ Dalai Lama XIV


 

No comments: