Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Chapter Two, Episode Thirty-Eight - Oh, What a Web - Situationally Theirs


Oh, What a Web


Martha and James Digby were walking home from work. “James, I hardly know what to do anymore. I’m the Housekeeper for this big old place and I barely know what to do anymore. Remember when Mr. Michael was alive and Miss Emelina was the belle of the ball? Always busy and we never knew when she would phone me at 4:30 in the afternoon to tell me she needed a dinner party for six by 7 p.m. Brigitte would just have gone home and I’d have to call her back to clean the dining room - even if she had cleaned it the day before. Elizabeth always had a dinner menu in her apron pocket that she could whip up in no time. A dessert in the freezer that she would have thawed and decorated quick as anything. You would be getting out your butler outfit - oh, you always looked so handsome. I could hardly take my eyes off you - but I did, so I could get the silver, china and linens set.” Martha sighed. Arm in arm with James, she leaned her head on his shoulder a tear in her eye. 


James was quiet. Should tell her he had seen Miss Emelina earlier that day with some personnel files just before she rushed upstairs? “Oh, James, I’ve taken some personnel files. Just so you don’t miss them. I’ll put them back when I’ve looked at them.” He patted his wife’s arm. Those were good days, weren’t they dear. Some of them pretty long though. So you thought I was handsome? You never said anything.” He hoped that she hadn’t noticed the frown rippling his brow. “Of course, I never said anything. At least not to you.” Martha blushed at the thought. “Is that why you and Elizabeth seemed always to be whispering. And here I thought it was the roast she cooked or the silver you were polishing.” 


“Why did you get so quiet, James? You look troubled - and you thought I wouldn’t notice. Aren’t the flowers beautiful?” Martha pointed across the estate to the rhododendrons by their cottage. “Yes, my dear, they are lovely - as lovely as you are. My troubles are nothing for you to worry about. Just some files that need to be put in order. Tell me about your plans for the reception that never was, Martha.”


“Well I haven’t got it all worked out yet, but I want something spontaneous. I already have Miss  Dez prepared to keep her sister and brother-in-law away when it’s time. Everything else will be the same - Elizabeth will get food ready. If we can eat outside, Samuel and Giles will help with setting up the tables and a canopy. Brigitte - well I don’t have anything for her right now, but I’m sure I’ll need her. Now - let’s leave work at work and enjoy the evening.”


~~~~~


Emelina breathed a sigh of relief. She put the files on the dining room table and flopped in the nearest chair. Her accountant, Mr. Winston, was beginning to work on the changes she’d requested. He wasn’t certain, but he felt the Estate finances would support them. They agreed that should he find any glitches, he would revise the plans but only after he spoke with her. Emelina swore him to secrecy. All he could say, and only if James asked, was that he was doing the usual annual review of some files. “I’m rather uncomfortable with that, Mrs.Beaufort - I mean, Mrs. Crawford. I don’t believe I ever congratulated you on your marriage. I wish you both a long and happy marriage.” Mr. Winston hesitated. “But back to your request. James and I have worked together on estate business for years. We’ve never kept anything from each other.” He stood up, moving away from his desk to the window.


 “Mr. Winston, I understand that this must be difficult for you, but it will only be for a short time. These people are all so good to me, good for me. I only want the best for them. If there is something you need to share with James, please call me first. I would like this to be a surprise for them if at all possible.” Emelina was nervous, certain she was making a mistake. She had never conducted any business without someone with her. But Jeremy was working all week and Brigitte would not be back until the next week. 


Mr. Winston recognized her discomfort. “I’m sure everything will work out just fine. I'll be certain to call you should James asks any awkward questions. You are doing a good thing, Mrs. Crawford. I think that Mr. Beaufort would be proud of you for taking this on. If James has any questions, I’m sure I can field them successfully.”


Emelina was exhausted. After she had presented her very loose plans, her accountant asked her when she last reviewed the Personnel Files and payment schedules. She felt so foolish. When she and Brigitte had started working together, she had tried. With no purpose, she let go of it. Mr. Winston had given her some guidelines for a new review. He didn’t really think she needed much more than the payment schedules. Emelina agreed that her relationship with her staff was very personal and knew little of their financial relationship. She remembered his last words “You’ll be a better employer for it, Mrs. Crawford.” 


She turned to her work. The top file was Martha's. She was to look for any raises, especially cost of living, when they were given and what they were due. I think I'd better get some coffee up here and something to snack on.


“All things are ready, if our mind be so.”

~ William Shakespeare, Henry V












No comments: