Pages

Friday, July 16, 2021

Culling the Beat


An orderly lineup of music

rapped onto silvery discs


Top shelf keepers ~

history of my interests in

  classical, swing and jazz, 

    easy listening and blues, 

      pop, country and folk


Mmm.. I do like those rhythms.

whistling with B.B.,

humming with Dean or Bing,

singing along with Willie or Alan.

     Body and soul swing and sway

       Heart and mind lifted away

         Mix and fusion every day


Bottom shelf ~

history yet to be heard

by my grown up self ~ still

  classical, swing and jazz, 

      pop, easy listening and blues, 

         country and folk


Did I really like that? 

Was the soul really my soul?

Putting aside some silver discs,

my ears open to awkward vibrations 

     too high toned

        too jittery and jumpy

           too frilly or flat.


This orderly lineup of music

quiet and resting until morning comes.


“Music…..can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable.”

~ Leonard Bernstein


 

No comments: