Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

It's Only a Dollar

Integrity held fast. It was only a dollar. Easy enough to just slip it in his pocket and keep quiet. Mason felt bad enough shivering on the cold wet pavement, a paper coffee cup sitting empty in front of him. People only tossed him a coin and kept walking without saying anything. Once in awhile some man or woman would greet him with a smile. This woman looked like she could afford losing a dollar. Not rich, but when she stood at her car, Mason knew she was better off than him.


“Ma’am? Excuse me please. This fell out of your purse when you pulled out your keys.” Mason held the dollar out to her. She turned abruptly. “What?!” Mason stepped back. “Your dollar ma’am.” Her face softened. “I’m sorry. You just surprised me. I didn’t know there was anyone else on the sidewalk. Not in such a good mood, the bank’s closed…… but then you don’t need to hear my troubles. Keep the dollar and here…no I have a better idea. That diner across the street is open.” The woman hesitated. “That is, if you’ll come with me.”


“Conduct reveals character, and we best understand integrity 

when we see it lived out in a person’s life.”

~ Charles H. Dyer, Character Counts


 

No comments: