Pages

Friday, January 6, 2023

Light it Up!

Enthusiasm about being able

to do things by myself 

and for myself wanes

when I just don’t know how. 


“Call for help”

“Don’t be so stubborn.”

“Did you read the package directions?”

“Why didn’t you check out the web?” 


all things I say to myself, 

in the voice of someone from my past

    like my dad, 

       or mom, 

          or a neighbour,   

       or just in casual conversation. 


But that child from my distant past,

that determined little girl 

who insists that ‘I can so do it!’, 

reminds me to give it one more try


I looked on the package for directions (nothing) 

and looked on a diy website for answers: it’s easy! 

(Calling for help is a tough one for me). 

Then:  Success!! 


my enthusiasm about being able 

to do things for myself surges

and a smile lights up my heart and my face!

(It was a very odd GU10 light bulb)


“I got my own back.”

~ Maya Angelou


 

No comments: