Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

To Branch or Not to Branch




I love trees. Individual trees. 

Tall or short, 

grand or stumpy with 

trunks, leaves and branches, 

home to birds and squirrels, 

insects and tiny bugs. 


possibly an orchardist in another life, 

I see a tree in need and want to prune it. 

trim off random suckers draining it of life

remove dead, bare branches that weigh it down

cut away branches broken by wind or a passing semi

 

when the wind swirls ideas, 

poems and stories through my mind

I can pick up my pen and write or,

let flashing, shiny coins distract me or 

pick up my pruning shears and get to work.


“As the gardener, by severe pruning, forces the sap of the tree into 

one or two vigorous limbs, so should you stop off 

your miscellaneous activity and concentrate

 your force on one or a few points.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments: