Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Baking Bread and Two Mom's


Using bread pans old and new,
I bake warm, fragrant bread.
Catching a glimpse her,
my hands turn and knead
soft, pliable bread dough.
Memories of the farm kitchen
tall windows on all sides
spreading summer sun
like butter on warm bread.
The bread rises.
A wonderful, aromatic reminder of her.

Written in memory of my mother, Marion.
Susan M. Ward   2004

Using bread pans old and new,
I bake warm fragrant bread.
My 'second' mom watched as
my hands clumsily punched air from
soft, pliable bread dough.
Her lovely laughing voice echoes gently,
'Use the heel of your hand. 
Make a quarter turn
and push down with 
the heel of your hand again'.
The bread dough grows smooth and elastic 
to this magic rhythm 
The kneaded loaves rise obediently.
Memories of kitchen table coffee visits,
baking bread filling the kitchen with
A wonderful aromatic reminder of her.

Written in memory of my mother in law, Olga
Susan M. Ward
2012

“You are the butter to my bread, and the breath to my life.”
~ Julia Child

No comments: