Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother’s Day and Last Day of Canada’s National Nurses Week

A Mother's Day gift and
a gift from a young patient

At first glance,
I thought this juxtaposition
was quite incongruous.

But mothers for many decades
have been employed outside the home in nursing positions.

And in relatively recent history
so have fathers.

Juggling schedules of 
home and family
shift work
employer’s schedules       
continuing education
has been and is worthy of the Flying Wallenda’s.

In the late 1950’s, when
women choosing nursing as a career
were granted the opportunity
to become 
married
mothers
working nurses were born.

I say this rather cynically,
yet with the knowledge that
societal mores change slowly.

My musings this morning are two fold
Initially they have been about the many mothers 
that I have known, 
both outside and inside of nursing,
But then I thought of my sons
knowing that they had to share
my heart and mind with
my career
my marriage
our family's many roller coaster events

This mother is supremely grateful
for the love they have given me in this
side by side mother/nurse role I have chosen.

“It is not how much you do but how 
much love you put in the doing.”
~ Mother Theresa
“First, from the early 1950s, many employed mothers began to challenge, although not overturn, the dominant discourse of the ideal mother as exclusively bound to home. The simple fact is that so many women were drawn to work outside the home despite criticism demonstrates the monetary and psychological importance of employment for women.”  
                                              (Wilson, 2006)                                                                       

No comments: