Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Seeing Things.....


           Seeing Things.....

So-o-o hungry when I got up but just too tired to make my usual great breakfast of bacon and eggs, I had energy enough to get out my blender and ingredients for a smoothie. Carrot or strawberry smoothie? I decided to make both, which turned out to be more work than if I’d made my regular breakfast.  

Standing at my kitchen counter, I stared blankly out my window overlooking the ocean front. Squinting suddenly, I rubbed my eyes. I checked my glasses to see that they were clean. For once they were spotless. Stopping long enough to pour myself a smoothie, I took a big drink and looked again out the curving bay window that I loved so much. It really was - a man? – or else I’d been reading too many Harlequin Romances. A very handsome buccaneer, his shirt open to the waist revealing his bronzed gleaming chest, leaned on my windowsill grinning at me. Blonde curls spilled over his brow, long tresses graced his wide shoulders. I closed my eyes tightly, took ten deep breaths and thought of doing laundry. When I opened my eyes the buccaneer had vanished, and I was left with an empty blender.

 “In the world of words, the imagination is one of the forces of nature.”
~ Wallace Stevens

A Writers Group exercise to write a story from 'seeing things..'

No comments: