Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

A Normal Cycle


Normal - a very good feeling.
That’s how I feel today

Listening to interviews with young women who finally feel normal in their lives today.
This normalcy came at a high price ~
years of undiagnosed psychiatric disorders,
struggles finding ‘the right medicine’,
active addiction,
difficulties with mental health care systems ~ 'we don't have the right program for your daughter'.
well intentioned opinions ~ ‘it’s only teenage problems’
self-mutilation
families fragmented in their ability to advocate for their loved one.

For one girl ~ 'at first, it was difficult to deal with feeling normal',
so used to riding the roller coaster of emotional ups and downs.

I am so pleased that I feel normal today - 
but a week of setting myself aside from the world
seems so miniscule beside the devastation of
untreated, 
unrecognized mental illness.
Normal, for me, is feeling like I’m home and healthy again.
I’ve been in my own home this last week,
but my health had taken a short holiday.

“Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine.”
~ Whoopi Goldberg

No comments: