Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Long to Get out In the Garden

I long to get out in the garden
to plant a row of beans,
plan where hills of potatoes should go
in front of a trellis of peas?

I long to get out in the garden,
with a fork, a spade and a rake
Toss out the weeds, put in the seeds
in rows that my hoe will make.

I long to get out in the garden
with sun shining hot on my face
or a thunder roll from billowed clouds
bringing rain and lightning through space.

I long to get out in the garden,
my hands in rich black soil.
At the end of the day in the garden,
I’m satisfied with all of my toil.

“Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing 
in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally 
taking time to soak up a little peace and serenity.”
~ Lindley Karstens, noproblemgarden.com

No comments: