Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Limiting Gestation

Not my back yard,
but down the alley from me.
Musing about limits these past few days, here's just a few thoughts.
Someone - can’t think who right now - says that limits are, well, limiting.

All of us try to live within the limits of
budget 
health
employment
speed laws!

I could go on but there is not enough room on this page to list all of life’s limits.
So what do I think about limits?

Limits can be an advantage whether
fixed,
moveable
or both

In the real world of the everyday
but imagination is where it gets really exciting.....
Now, that is where limits are malleable
and I get to set them inside that world.

Writing on a work day is a short bit in the morning
and then this late afternoon into early evening time where I peck out
an opinion piece like this, 
polish a story, 
scribble a bit of poetry

The limits are only
time at my disposal and
ink in my pen
paper of any kind
power for my computer
all of the ideas, thoughts and stories planted
in the morning for the evening’s harvest.

On days off, the time for my writing practice, 
while more expansive
is chopped up into little bits or
sliced off in larger slabs

And, over time, my body memory has it written that 
something will flow at about this time
and so it does - for better or for worse.

Limits tell me when to focus and how quickly
Limits encourage imagination to 
flow like an open faucet or 
rest and gestate while other work is being done.

“The world of reality has it’s limits; 
the world of imagination is boundless.”
~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

No comments: