Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Grief Recycled


Humour caught off guard one day by clouds, lightening, thunder ~ a horrendous storm crashed in flooding my soul
sending humour flinging away with a violent rush of deep, deep grief and anguish
voices echoed around me like fog horns in a harbour
slowly, slowly creeping through thick, thick cloud
I felt for life around me.
Slowly heavy cloud faded from 
deep slate grey to 
dirty gray to 
brightening gray 
by the warmth of family and friends

I tried to share in their laughter but
my voice was tinny and false
my heart still raw and sore
My children and gardens
kittens and puppies 
anything that grew
the only real softness I allowed to come close to my heart.
One day ~ I don’t know when ~
I tentatively stepped into the light of real joy
tears of laughter washed cloudy residue from my eyes
my heart glowed with gladness.  
The glow was short lived but I knew 
that I would return to the joy.

                         *****

Today I smiled deep inside my heart when
I saw my neighbour’s calico kitty today 
perched on empty recycling bags.

laughter and joy perch on my tattered old memories
recycled kindly as story and lesson
thick clouds that seldom visit any more.

“While grief is fresh, every attempt to divert only irritates. You must wait till
it be digested, and then amusement will dissipate the remains of it.”
Samuel Johnson

No comments: