Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Disclaimer

I’ll admit:
At each birthday, there is always
excitement rather than fear.
Fear bubbles to the surface about being
decrepit, in pain and debilitated
dependent
confused
wandering about with no clue
where I am 
who I am ~ for sure ~
being cold all the time
free floating worries
becoming invisible with no shadow
forgetting how to laugh ~ or that I should ~
lost memories
floods of old colliding memories
being alone
incontinence and diapers
fearful of people I have known and loved all my life
forgetting the names of ordinary things like pillow cases

I think this list is growing too long and
there may not be time to complete it.
I do have to drive
to work ~ nursing that I love ~ in an hour or so.

Oh ~ I guess that means
all of the things I am afraid of
are in the future.

Tomorrow?
Next week?
Next year?

Who knows?
Today, I know 
where my feet are
(and I am typing these words ~ writing, creating ~
without anyone standing over my shoulder.)

“I think you have to relax about aging.
What else can you do?”
~ Felicity Kendal

No comments: