Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Learned Quietness


In a group of my peers 
~ all of us from the 60’s ~
it is definitely not quiet.
Just a bunch of aging teenage girls chattering about poodle skirts, 
Elvis Presley, 
grandchildren,
politics of the day and 
trips abroad ~
solving all the world’s problems
until someone mentions the latest in haute cuisine ~ or chocolate.

However,  
when in a mixed crowd of generations
frustrated silence surrounds me
until I’m asked my opinion ~
although I might just give my opinion.

If I listen to the younger and the youngsters
I do hear
curiosity, new ideas and questions 
(many that my generation struggled with)
willingness and frustration
annoyance and growing acceptance.

The quietness that comes
with each step up the ladder of decades
allows a view of ourselves in those younger ~
our own past selves 
growing up
finding our way
learning how to experience life.

“The quieter you become the more you can hear.”
~ Ram Dass

No comments: