Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Philosophy on Aging


An earlier post mentioned that I am merely middle aged.
True.
So I know nothing about aging - 
only what rolls around in my mind and
what I hear other folks saying.

Kids (anyone under thirty five) have dared to call anyone 20 years older than they ~ ‘old’.  I probably did the same thing when I was one of the ‘anyones’ under thirty-five.

Sixty five and up isn't so old any more.
I’ve got too much to do,
people to meet
places to go
things to learn
experiences all.

My own place in the aging game is one of worry ~
worry about ill health, 
not enough money, 
loss of mental faculties,
being alone with it all.
One or all of these is a very sad reality for some of us.

I do know about worry - I am well practiced at the worry game.
Worry is very portable
Worry can be done anywhere, with anyone and at anytime.
Even sleeping, worry invades dream space!

So my philosophy on aging is just like worry ~
Aging is portable.
Aging will happen with or without my consent,
so just keep enjoying everything that comes your way
learn from all of it - good, bad or mediocre.

And don’t forget to have fun!

“Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, 
the philosophy which does not laugh, and 
the greatness which does not bow before children.”
~ Kahlil Gibran

No comments: