Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Working to Relax


If I were to paint a picture of how I have felt today it would be this stubby little plant.
Stems all woody, with just enough life to shoot out another fragile bit of greenery.
Today has been all about relaxation and I have certainly  worked hard at it!
A very strange juxtaposition -working to relax - but that is just what I have done.
Staying in pj’s as long as I could - that was easy (with a cuppa).
Guided relaxation exercise with my creativity coach.
Opening mind and shoulders, letting the weight of work week tension drain out my finger tips and filter away through the space around me.
Then Aquafit.........one hour of guided cardio in chest high water with a class of twenty.
Kicking away all of that same tension while the cool water wraps around and supports me.
Opening wide arms and chest, breathing deep to expand rib cage and heart.
(water support is a good thing!  I couldn’t do some of these exercises on dry land.)
A few minutes in the hot swirling water of the Jacuzzi before home and quiet.
Not feeling quite so woody this evening, I’ll read a bit more Alice Munro.......

Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.”
~ Chinese Proverb

No comments: