Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Re-Post with editing of 'Learning to Write'

From 2012:

Writing equals penmanship
Writing ideas, facts, stories in
a sentence, an essay
a poem, or a book 
is a very different subject.

I learned penmanship in school from 
printing big rounded letters 
curling cursive lettering
in wide lined notebooks

In school, I also wrote 
sentences, essays
and read 
poetry, story and history

In the land of higher education, I read books written 
academically
clinically
poetically

I wanted to write my stories and poems with
better grammar
clearer images
one metaphor at a time

So I gathered together
a ‘curricula’
and home studied from 
the wisdom of authors.
I set my own time table
Went to class - composed of work shops
Listened to interviews with authors.

My shifting nursing career is now about more than 
blood pressures
clinical assessments
interdisciplinary communication.

My nursing career provides a wealth of 
essays, stories and poems to write.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep 
interested in your own career, however humble; it is 
a real possession in the changing fortunes of time."
~ Max Ehrman, from Desiderata

No comments: