Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Fall Funk Blues

Fall Funk greeted me morosely 
    when I opened my eyes. 
Fall Funk trailed me to the bathroom, 
    to the kitchen , 
      watched me closely while 
I filled the kettle with water, 
    made my coffee
With each step 
although I didn’t notice at first that 
   Fall funk’s fist loosened it’s grip. 
Not whining 
  or crying 
    just backing away from
dishes on the cupboard, 
    dishwasher to empty, 
      clothes to put away
         my movements kept on  
Some would call it puttering, 
    multitasking 
       before coffee even crossed my lips.
I called it sleepy-walking. 
Order restored and movement 
    stirring the air my eyes found brightness 
       not cheer 
          but brightness. 
Until in that light bulb moment 
    I knew that the fall funk gremlin had slunk
       back to it’s corner only to go to sleep until next time. 
Movement - not fast, not slow
    a pace that fits each orderly movement 
      kept up the pace until around me order out of chaos 
not even that chaotic 
     evolved before my very eyes. 
Gathering, putting away, rearranging 
     until I can sit here in the sun with my pen - no computer
just pen and paper, sunshine and stillness
   self respect restored and renewed

“If life throws you a few bad notes or vibrations, 
don’t let them interrupt or alter your song.”
~ Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: 
The Writings of Suzy Kassem

No comments: