Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

For the Love of a Turkey

I’ve been reading old journals this summer to see what my writing life has been like over the years. I’ve written a lot of boring stuff, some really crazy stuff and once in awhile some interesting writing. One suggested writing exercise has been to write, in as much detail as possible, personal surroundings. This entry, from September 14, 2016, was a rather interesting memory and one of the suggested writing exercises.  

I worked at Hazeldell Orchards in the fall each year for almost ten years. Staying in a motorhome on the edge of the apple orchard, I would go outside to do my morning yoga routine. No room in the motorhome. Anyway, this sets up the following entry….

Sept. 14, 2016 7:29 am
‘Truly amazing. Miss Turkey (I just had to name her) joined me for yoga this morning. Not just scratching and clucking but came to the head of the groundsheet only inches away - totally respecting my space. She pulled a fat worm out of the ground and ate it in my presence! After a few minutes, she settled herself, tucking her leathery sharp claws beneath her, folding her speckled black and white wings back and resting her thin neck, relaxing it from its long morning search for food and watching for predators. She sat thusly (pardon the weird wording) while I completed my full yoga/exercise routine only flinching when I stood up and once when my pose had me move in her direction. She did not move from her space until I was back inside the motor home.’

This visit from Miss Turkey continued each morning until I was getting a little nervous. I don't remember how this morning routine stopped - I may find out in a few days as I keep reading my journals. Never had a real turkey fall in love with me! An assumptiom, I know, but she was just getting a bit too friendly.  Still a warm fuzzy memory - if a turkey could be considered warm and fuzzy.

“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”
~ William Shakespeare,  All’s Well That Ends Well

2 comments:

Donna said...

Haha... That's definitely a cute memory. Do you think the turkey survived Thanksgiving? 😆
Not sure if the date is right... or is this a projection? 😁

Susan Ward said...

I'm afraid she didn't make it. I believe she died before Thanksgiving of unknown causes. Heartbroken after I returned to Victoria? That would be so sad! :)