Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Book Smack at the Belfry Theatre

Opportunity bounces and bounds through life, sometimes in the blink of an eye. At a writer’s meeting earlier this month, a ‘book smack’ was introduced. I had never been to one, nor even heard of a book smack, so I said I would go. I entered it on my cell phone so I wouldn’t forget. Today, at coffee with the walking group, it was finalized. Tonight was the night for this ‘book smack’

Tonight I heard librarians, Victoria’s poet laureate, staff of the Greater Victoria Public Library and an employee of the Belfry Theatre speak eloquently and rapidly about their best loved choices. They introduced DVD’s, children and teen books, fiction and non-fiction. Their challenge? Talk fast about as many as possible.

The first session started with a lightning round about books by Alice Munro. Not all had read Alice Munro, but knew of her and had to wing it. After that each speaker had two minutes, then one minute then 30 seconds. The speakers spoke clearly and quickly about their choices. 

At the beginning of the night, we were told there would be a test at intermission. The 2 winners of the test would get a gift. After a twenty minute intermission, there was a draw for the bag of swag. I did not win either of the colourful bags with books, art supplies and trinkets within. Then the next round of Book Smack began. This time there were four timed book smack-downs. One two minute, two one minutes and one 30 second challenge.  

Audience members shot up their hands to claim the book being proposed - an automatic library withdrawal. (I came away with the Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro. I have it for 21 days.) Those of us with a library card were good. Anyone that didn’t have a library card could get one there - the miracles of technology win the day once more.

It was a fun and satisfying evening and I’m so glad that I took advantage of this opportunity with friends. (We went out for supper first.)


“[Librarians] are subversive. You think they’re just 
sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. 
They’re plotting the revolution, man. 
I wouldn’t mess with them.”
~ Michael Moore

The Belfry Theatre is hosting Alice Munro short stories 
from April 18 to May 14, 2017
Tickets at:  tickets@belfry.bc.ca

No comments: