Pages

Friday, April 28, 2017

Strolling with Danger

I decided to do something dangerous. Risky. The night was cool and soft. The grass moist with dew. The grand old trees reached up to the stars disappearing into the darkness. We had all been told as kids that walking in the park at night was risky. There were boogie men hiding in the bushes, trampling the gardens. As a kid, I believed all the stories. Tonight, the stories were just that. Stories to scare us and get us home before dark. I had been warned of many dangers and risks. People that roamed the night. People who were finally free of the day eyes. But just for tonight, I could breath easily. The weeks of heavy humidity slid away into the cool midnight air. Those people that were so scary? We all kept our distance from one another, enjoying the space and freedom to breathe. Walking home in the dark, I smiled. I was satisfied that my journey into danger and risk had ended safely.

“All it takes is rumour…the danger itself is irrelevant. 
It’s the perception of danger we’re selling.”
~ Sharon Weil, Donny and Ursula Save the World

No comments: