Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Comforts of Home


The comforts of home shift with memory, 
pieces of furniture from my growing up life, nestling the past in the present 
but only part of the past 
the part that brought me comfort.

Sometimes my real furniture looks dated and old, even my newest furniture ~ purchased because it fit ~
fit with the warmth of the past
all I ask from the past is comfort and safety
which memories are safe?
which need to be laid to rest?

My comforts of home?
the aroma of baking bread, a bubbling stew, fresh brewed coffee or roast chicken; the dirt under my fingernails after a good dig in my small garden pots, the sounds of CBC on Sunday morning, piano music and a whistling tea kettle, the whirr of my sewing machine, hum of the refrigerator and distant growl of lawnmowers

An abundance of sounds, aromas, and feelings - invisible heartstrings to the past.

“Perhaps home is not a place but simply an irrevocable condition.”
~ James Baldwin, Giovanni’s Room

Author's note: Edited February 09, 2024

No comments: