Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Prairie Girl




A prairie girl
I miss the brilliant white snow
a bright sparkling blanket
thrown across quilted farm land
I miss the wide blue sky shadowed in winter by 
clouds stretching horizon to horizon,
landscape broken only by fence posts, scattered trees and bush
I miss the silence of those winter mornings
train whistles echoing…and echoing

When I hear the fine pitter patter of rain
tickling this still green land with fine mist
drenching a multitude of trees and grasses in need
hear city traffic muted outside my window
see multi shaded red-gold leaves decorating the landscape
feel the silence that is an early city morning
acceptance settles on my shoulders like a soft cozy blanket
the brightness of snapping cold prairie winters a distant memory.








“One can follow the sun, of course, but I have always thought 
that it is best to know some winter, too, so that the summer, 
when it arrives, is the more gratefully received.”
~ Beatriz Williams, Along the Infinite Sea

p.s. - It's not even winter yet!! 
         Autumn not officially ended til November 22nd!

No comments: