Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Situational Change

My poor baby - gone to the salvage heap!
To be mindful of one’s situation is to stop. Not a screeching, sliding stop - although that sometimes may be necessary. Rather like being rear-ended by a heavier vehicle. Today at 2:48 pm it was one year since that untimely event occurred. While I was not physically injured, verified by my physician and my massage therapist, there have been a small, but significant, number of events since that time leaving me wondering about a deeper nature of injury that could have occurred. Some may say that this is a natural part of the aging process. For little untoward events to occur. And I am 70, so I guess I have been aging. But I certainly have been walking and enjoying the city (and the bus system).

Regardless, being mindful of one’s situation, whether concussion, aging or just life events is to stop. To stop and feel one’s presence in the world. Just put your bare feet on the ground - or on your living room rug and grip it with your toes. That is your presence in this world. I had a lovely cold glass of coconut milk this morning. I felt the coolness of the glass on my fingertips, and the cool flavour of the milk as I sipped it slowly. Feeling my presence in this world. This place at my dining room table, which in this moment is my place in this world. 

As I worked in my kitchen yesterday, preparing today’s lunch for work, I could hear and see and smell each item I prepared. And taste! Frozen fruit pieces that escaped my thermos found their way into my mouth. These cool spring aromas were not strong and could easily have been missed save for my search for mindfulness. The crunch as I sliced through vegetables was extremely gratifying. Enjoy your day and savour each moment as you pass through it. Even those unpleasant ones - they just may have a bit of joy for you in moments to come.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, 
but no one thinks of changing himself.”
~ Leo Tolstoy

No comments: