Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My Deer Garden



Surprise! This morning I stepped outside to check my little garden.

My beautiful yellow violas - disappeared. My jalapeño plant - leafless. My fledgling beans  - nipped neatly off. My cherry tomatoes - nibbled for brunch. I hadn’t seen any deer around here for quite some time. I suppose I thought they had vanished into thin air! Anyway, last evening I had opened the netting around the violas, the jalapeño and my tomato plant just because I thought, maybe, they looked prettier. Give them room to breathe and, unknowingly, setting the ‘table’ for a lovely tender green brunch. I do hope they appreciated it. 


But the jig is up - or should I say - the garden is protected once more! A quick trip to the hardware store for netting. I took the old netting off and walled up my garden. I know that deer can tear things apart easily. My little garden will not be much of challenge. I’m counting on all the lush foliage around to distract them from discovering another free brunch. 

“ ‘There are no easy pickings.’ That would be a more accurate, 
less dramatic statement than ‘There’s no such thing as a free lunch.’ ”
Paul Samuelson

No comments: