Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Taste the Rainbow

I have no photos of rainbows so just chose a beautiful blue sky. 
At a recent writer’s gathering on Friday evening, we were challenged by random selection of writing prompt’s: little strips of folded paper with just a line or phrase written on them. From that we were to write a poem with a ten minute limit. I received ‘Taste the rainbow….what flavours does your rainbow have?”  Poetic form is rather poor, however here is my piece, slightly edited:

Fruits of the Land

Taste the rainbow
Passionate colours of
  oranges and plums
     apples, apricots and lemons
There are still the colours of blues and pinks
   blueberries
      and crabapples
Colours that arc across the sky
   Colours that cut softly through clouds
      Colours that soften my heart on a summers day when
gentle rain mists in the sky and moistens the land below.

Taste the rainbow for 
the colours of clear water
rinsing sun rays with the tastes 
of the fruits of the land.

“Let me, O let me bathe my soul in colours; 
let me swallow the sunset and drink the rainbow.”
~ Kahlil Gibran

No comments: