Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Kitchen Possibilities

Coming into the kitchen I could see possibilities. They were well hidden but I knew they were there. How many times have any of us spent time opening cupboards, the refrigerator, kitchen drawers with a blank stare? What’s there? “I’m just cooking for me. I guess it doesn’t matter what’s there. But the refrigerator is kind of empty. I’m hungry but there’s nothing interesting there.” Or “It’s just the two of us ~ maybe we could try a new restaurant ~ but we’ve already used up our eating out budget for the month.” 

Now, I love preparing food, cooking food, serving food but I have often been stuck in an old entrenched ‘meat and potatoes with a vegetable’ cuisine that had little imagination and, consequently, often little taste. My mom always used fresh or frozen peas from our garden, but going to other kid’s homes I sometimes was served peas from a can - rather gray and unappetizing. Also as a youngster, I learned to cook but usually had mom or any one of my sisters to guide me and tell me the next step. Consequently I didn’t have to use my imagination much and I’m not certain it was encouraged.

No matter. That was a very long time ago as I am now in my seventh decade of learning. In relation to the kitchen, I am still learning to trust myself. To be brave in the face of spices and flavourings. And ok if it is just me, but when cooking for others I freeze. Afraid that what I prepare and serve will be too much or too little. There are so many real food issues, food fads and food warnings floating about like too much oil on top of the goodness below that it is easier ~ and blander ~ to play it safe. 

I got curious about what I have ~ not what I don’t have in my kitchen ~ while watching TV being a couch potato. Food shows. I love them. Guy’s Grocery Games. Chef’s Table. Chopped - especially with kids competing with one another. How has it made me curious about the contents of my own refrigerator and cupboards? Contestants or experienced chefs have been challenged by game show requirements or by life experience, while growing into experienced chefs. They have all been challenged to work with what they have, purchasing as few ingredients as possible, and to create a delicious meal or dessert. (Dessert is not one of my strong suits.)

I would be much remiss if I didn’t give kudos to my friends and family who have traveled the globe and brought home their taste experiences as well as the rest of their journey. I have eaten many dinners made with their memories of Morocco or Asia. I have learned to be curious about the spicing and preparation of foods from several different areas of the world. I have dabbled in some of those cuisines, but am still much of a novice as they do not spring to mind when wondering what to cook for lunch or dinner.

I have created some not very good meals and some really delicious meals. Fortunately, the not very good meals have been just for me ~ unless my guests were being too polite to say otherwise. But even the not very good meals have been turned into soups with the addition of a little homemade chicken broth and different spicing. Now coming into my kitchen I do see possibilities much more easily. My kitchen is my place to play with my food. Doing dishes is the only down side to this tasty result of chasing my curiosity.

(p.s. - baking bread is my personal favourite - focaccia, whole wheat bread, naan bread, No Knead bread, scones, banana bread……..)

“The more you know, the more you can create. 
There’s no end to imagination in the kitchen.”
Julia Child

No comments: