Pages

Monday, November 19, 2018

On a Morning Walk - Down Cook Street Morning



On a bright sunny day
I walked
Cold air reddened my cheeks

‘You goin’ for a walk?’
Shorts, backpack and a smile
‘Meeting my walking group.’

She emptied a silver planter.
‘Good morning.’
She smiled and nodded back.

The little guy sat outside a Starbucks.
Folded his arms and scrunched up his little legs.
His mom smiled at me and said ‘He thinks he likes coffee.’

I looked for the man who sat under a tree.
His spot was empty save for his little seat of cardboard
I hope he was able to get to his mom’s funeral.

Passing shops, medical office, optometry still quiet
Quick window shopping only this morning
Passersby chatting as they walked

A worksite still and waiting for workmen
Shovels stored neatly against a dirt wall
Bits of styrofoam and wood strewn on the ground.

If I had had a GPS on this peaceful morning
It’s computer speak would say: ‘You have reached 
your destination.’ ~ to begin my Monday walk with friends.

“Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”
~ Maya Angelou

No comments: