Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2018

On and Afternoon Walk - Right or Left

An open Saturday.
Only one appointment downtown just to get my hair done. Other plans? Experience the annual Gingerbread Show on my way home. Walk past the koi pond, walk down Humbolt St. under trees still divesting themselves of their gold ~ just taking my time ~ Good idea right? Home to……..oh yes, soup. Not just broth but making black bean soup with some of the broth. So when I left Arq Hair Salon I turned right instead of left. Several blocks later I was in Chinatown for a few fresh ingredients for my Black Bean SoupAll I needed ~ jalapeño peppers, a lime and a head of garlic. The Chinese market was packed with shelves sagging with cans and jars of pickled vegetables, dried noodles, boxes of teas and items I was completely unfamiliar with. Outside in boxes, baskets and on shelves were a multitude of Asian vegetables - daikon radish, green onions, bok choy were only a few that I recognized. I did get my jalapeños, garlic and lime and returned home.

The rest of the evening has been a peaceful one. There is nothing like cooking ~ tonight I finished the chicken broth, created the black bean soup and made (and ate) red wine poached salmon (first time) with asparagus. And I used rosemary from the front yard. There was much ‘quality control’ done throughout the whole process.

“The smells of slow cooking spread around the house and impart 
a unique warmth match only by the flavour of the food.”
~ Yotam Ottolenghi

No comments: