Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

Forces of Change

We all take the bits and pieces of ideas that others discuss sometimes tasting whole chunks. Sometimes we will try something out to see how it works in our life. If it doesn’t work the way it was envisioned, it gets discarded. Or we just get bored with a ‘brilliant’ idea that turned out to be only ‘brilliant’ at the time. David Cain, a Winnipeg writer and blogger (raptitude.com), discussed his idea for the year of 2018 of going deeper not wider in daily life. His initial suggestion was to not buy anything new which tweaked my interest. Any of his ideas and previous experiments could have fit into the categories I mentioned. In January for 2018, I tried Depth Year on for my own life, being unaware of the emotions that would be stirred as I proceeded. It started out with not buying anything new. It was a success for the most part, but the feelings it engendered without the newness were feelings of deprivation and poverty. Very uncomfortable and frightening at a time when I was contemplating retirement. I was not looking forward to the very scary, and for some all too real, ‘bag lady’ image. But, I had made a commitment to try this Depth Year and make it a good try, not one to toss away as soon as the emotional going got a bit tough. At the same time, I also gave myself permission to back off and out if I truly believed it would not be a good fit for me.

The success of this little experiment has been felt in nuances and colour. The most important has been attitude shifts about how and why to proceed in daily life. Important enough to extend this little experiment into 2019. To keep looking in depth into my life. Should something scary pop up at me like a mischievous jack-in-the-box, stop and really look at what reality has to say. This New Year of 2019 has no clairvoyance to it. Merely projections and what if’s countered by hopes and dreams. Threats of doom and gloom balanced by personal courage, wisdom and the will to live wholesome lives. At this years end, I believe in the possibility of renewed and growing lives. Only with each step that we take, will we provide 2019 with success, not necessarily in dollars and cents, but laughter, learning and sometimes crying. Maybe a little luck, some magic or some other unseen force helps life move along just when we have given up. Being patient while the magic happens is key, along with hope, faith and belief in life and love.

“May the force be with you.”
~ George Lucas, Starwars

No comments: