Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Garden News

Welcome to one of my ‘gardens’! My goal was three fold: have an interesting garden, avoid setting a buffet for the deer, and leaving the soil empty of interesting spaces for squirrels to cache their peanuts in. So, I planted succulents. Most of us know they don’t really need water or fussing over. Hardy dry land or desert plants. What I’m showing you this morning is a Crinkly Leaf cactus and a Split Rock succulent. Both are native to arid regions of South Africa. Definitely not the damp of Victoria, BC! They have both been rained on significantly. They are protected from our wild west wind by the rock wall, some tall grasses and enjoy an east to west sun exposure. My little split rock was damaged, I’m sure, by a squirrel testing it to see if it was really a rock. My Crinkly Leaf cactus has sprouted flower stems? I have no idea what those flowers may look like but I’m watching them every day. Marigolds managed to make it into the little garden, hiding a painted stone cottage. They probably use up some of the water that my split rocks don't want. My commitment to having and keeping a garden turned me toward succulents. Deer and squirrels just don’t care for them!

“Garden design is all about concealment and surprise.”
~ Andrew Crofts, Secrets of the Italian Gardener

No comments: