Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Tricycles, Area Rugs and Snow Angels

Inspired by falling from my tricycle
when the bumpy wooden sidewalk 
tripped my tricycle ~ I got up, 
stamped my feet and 
tried once more to ride.

Inspired by falling into soft snow 
I spread my arms back and forth
making the angel wings of childhood ~
in my mind I sketched a picture 
of what memory tells me is true.

Inspired by falling leaves that carpet 
the city like mismanaged, crisp, red/orange area rugs ~ I am careful to not run and jump in them as I did when I was a child, never knowing if squishy or sharp things hide quietly beneath. 

Inspired by falling stars, I look 
to the heavens because I want 
to see star dust and magic in 
the velvety blackness full 
of new worlds to live in and on.

Inspired by falling into the colourful
trap of area rugs rectangular, square, round or oval ~ 
scattered here and there with edges 
that reach up to grab my toes 
and pull me crashing to the floor, 
I decided, instead, to decorate beneath 
the rocking chair in my bedroom.

Inspired by falling I see wonders 
of our world that can only 
be recognized when the world
greets me without warning,
showing me that I have learned to
 twirl on my toes
  pick myself up
   try again
    imagine the impossible.

“We learn from failure, not from success!”
~ Bram Stoker, Dracula

No comments: