Pages

Monday, December 16, 2019

Magic of the Holidays with the Victoria Symphony Orchestra


An afternoon at the Symphony yesterday with a friend enjoying Christmas music, fun and full of laughter, is a gift I give to myself. From Jingle Bells to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, from the Polonaise from Christmas Eve Suite to O Holy Night, from Nutcracker Selections by Tchaikovsky to Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, this Pops Three concert, conducted by Giuseppe Pietraroia, truly was magic. Solos by soprano, Betty Waynne Allison backed by the Vox Humana Choir carried this wonderful music to glorious heights. Vox Humana Chamber Choir sang several other selections brilliantly. Always talented, the Victoria Symphony orchestra played this diverse collection of music and song magnificently. 

Most aren’t going to recognize the emotional value of such an experience. As yesterday afternoon’s Symphony proved once more, there really can be magic at Christmas time ~ in music, in laughter and in trusted companions. Let me explain….

My mom is in my thoughts probably every single day ~ especially in the kitchen, but today is much more poignant to me. Her passing 48 years ago today was sudden and tragic. Some years later, when I became of aware of my own struggles with life, I made a commitment to myself. A commitment to actively participate in my life with fun and enjoyment ~ whether I felt like it or not. Because there have still been tears and sadness. But, would I have believed that commitment would take me to the Symphony? Not likely. It had not been part of my life experience at all. Now I know, that by maintaining my commitment, daily, so many other things, including symphony performances, are regularly a part of my life experience. Not forced, but consciously chosen.

I learned how to reach back to a time when, as a child and growing up, there was fun and magic each Christmas time and at so many other times. There really was a time before. Holding those times in my heart and recreating the joyous times ~ whether by myself or with family or friends ~ I find and create little sparkles of magic once more and am willing to share them with others.

“Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year 
to remind us that we’re here for something else besides ourselves.”
~ Gladys Taber, (1899 - 1980)

No comments: