Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Snow and Silence

Dallas Road, Victoria, BC Feb. 2017 
It was Kelowna, Dec. 13, 2000. I found this poem in one of my journals from 2000. Reviewing my journals has become part of my personal archaeology. Looking for any highs, lows or in-betweens of my life so I can really feel my transitions. That short time in Kelowna following my return to Canada from Texas became very chaotic in several ways, not to mention that Christmas was only days away. Those are stories for another venue and another time. Needless to say, my heart was pretty sore and was desperate for relief. I found it with trusted friends and with pen to paper. Both are little tricks that calm my soul and offer a pause when all around seems to be crashing around. I have edited this significantly but the feeling it still invokes in me has not been changed.

Snow and Silence

I walked last night with two friends. 
Lake Okanagan was still.
It was -7C.

Lights lined the waterfront and 
climbed through the city 
spread into the hills.

Snow fell delicately
crystaled white flakes
against a darkened sky.

A light breeze persuaded
these sparklets of ice to
slip sideways through 

dried leaves and drifting
golden willow branches.
Veils of steam rose in

fine clouds that hovered
inches from the lake’s
glassy black surface.

Crunching, matched footsteps of 
three bundled up women
broke through snow and silence,

covered ears and crisp footsteps 
quieted any words wandering away
on puffs of breath into the snow drift.

An ever faithful flock of ducks huddled
 ~ warm to warm ~ green and brown heads 
tucked under shining wings out of the cold.

Water blocks stared at the marina ~ 
glossy, black and empty ~ 
spaces beside the dock

where few boats wintered,
blanketed with snow and
resting in the stillness.

I walked last night with two friends. 
Lake Okanagan was still.
It was -7C.

"Silence is a source of great strength."
~ Lao Tzu

No comments: