Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 157 - Piece Work - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update
Creating a credible and easily followed timeline in storytelling creates the flow of a story. In this episodic, and totally unplanned, story I suspect it is not always credible or easily followed. In this episode, mention is made that “Carrie's muscles, wasted by weeks in bed........”.  This time span makes sense for this episode, but what about others? How have they been affected by this time span, or have they? My cursory research has found little direction for this writing issue, so I've relied on my own experience as a reader. When a time line does jog, has there been a question set up and answered later in the story? Was there a set up in previous parts of the story, in this case, episodes? Presently I don't have a clear answer for this question, so that means getting out the text books - and I have a lot of them.

Piece Work

What is your story, Carrie Tyler? Randall Matthews, B.S.W., gowned, masked and gloved stood outside the private room on the sixth floor. He understood the need for all the protective dress, but really didn’t like it. The R.N., Miss Green, also protectively attired, was assisting Mrs. Tyler as she got up into a wheelchair. Carrie's muscles, wasted by weeks in bed and the suspected effects of her illness, did not hold her up solidly. She would need at least as many weeks, if not more, of rehabilitation to get her strength and balance back. 

~~~~~

Miss Green, pushing a soiled linen cart, came from Mrs. Tyler’s room. “Mrs. Tyler’s ready to see you, Randall.” She was about to continue with her cargo, when she stopped. “She’s really quite frightened - afraid of where she may end up. She still hasn’t told me, or any of the other nurses anything, so I do hope you can help her out.” 

Randall opened the door to Mrs. Tyler’s room. “Mrs. Tyler? May I come in? It’s Randall, the Social Worker.”  Her voice stronger than it had been, Carrie replied “Please come in. Miss Green told me you were waiting to see me.” Randall pulled up the spare chair reserved for such visits. “How are you feeling? I have quite a few questions and some information for you, so if you tire, please tell me.”  Carrie was quiet for a long moment. She reached for a tissue to dab at her eyes. Her hair, long and straight, had been washed and tied back from her face. Her skin had the look of fine porcelain, her bone structure sharp and delicate. Mrs. Tyler was much younger looking than Randall had heard from other staff. “Randall - may I call you Randall? - I’m afraid. I know people have said I’m homeless and have been living on the street. That’s only partially true, but it is why I’m afraid. Afraid that I will have to return there…..” A sob escaped from deep inside. Carrie gripped the arms of the wheelchair, took a deep breath and looked up at Randall. “I’m sorry, I didn’t want to do that.” She smiled. “Seems this disease has wasted more than my leg muscles. Why don’t you ask your questions and give me any information you have. I’ll let you know when I tire. My concentration gets difficult then.” 

~~~~~

For the next thirty minutes, Randall slowly started to piece together Carrie Tyler’s life. It started with the photograph. Carrie took it from her housecoat pocket and handed it to Randall. The once glossy surface was cracked and photo’s edges bent. A smiling and pretty young girl leaned up against a red convertible parked in front of what looked like a family home. Randall turned the picture over - Emelina Eliot - was printed in faded ink on the back. “I’m not from Hartley. I have been looking for my mother and have information that this girl is my mother.” Once in a while, their conversation would lag when Carrie seemed about to drift off. She insisted they keep on until Randal finally called a halt to it. “Can I take this picture with me? I’ll make my own copy and get this back to you.” Carrie nodded. He slipped it into a plastic bag. Carrie whispered “If you think it will help my case.” She tried to get up, but had to lean back into the chair. Randall used the patient call button “I’ll get Miss Green to help you back to bed. I’ll come by again tomorrow. Today may have been the hardest, Carrie. We’ll get you in a safe place.” Randall hoped he wasn’t dreaming. This woman had been on quite a journey and it wasn’t done yet.

“In the middle of the journey of life I found myself astray 
in a dark wood where the straight road had been lost sight of.”
~ Dante Alighieri

No comments: