Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 161 - Which Ends - Situationally Theirs

Review, Revision, Edit and Update
Sometimes a writer commits himself to an ending that doesn't work. He has constructed a story that has one inevitable conclusion, but by the time he's written that story, it becomes apparent that the previously planned outcome is a mistake” - Nancy Lamb, The Art and Craft of Storytelling

My biggest struggle with writing, since I began my writing journey over 25 years ago, has been endings. I have tended to just stop and probably still do. The episodic nature of this story has challenged me to listen to my characters and write down each ending as they tell it, not what I think is a good idea. Introducing the character of Carrie Tyler and her possible connection to Emelina Beaufort, was a good idea at the time. As I progressed through her story, she told me how this part of her story should end. There are still unanswered questions - did she get home? did she and Emelina continue writing? I remember feeling that this part of Emelina's story was about to overtake all the earlier episodes. Was it important to introduce this character at all?

As far as today's revision goes, there were few little fixes to be done, and I did add a line to Carrie's letter when she reminded me that her father had notified the RCMP that she was missing. (I'm sure she didn't mention that in my previous post).


Which Ends

There is no ending to this or any other story. As with all of life and the stories within it, they all roll on to a natural end. The end that we all meet. But before that final end, each of us goes our separate ways on to new adventures or a return to finish old business. Sometimes we never really know when a story ends or continues elsewhere.
~~~~~

The mail had slowed a bit but was still regular, especially with bills. Today, when the mail slot at the kitchen door clunked open and closed, it was really no different except for what else it contained. Emelina had picked the mail up on her way into the house. On one piece of mail, she recognized Carrie’s writing. Finally a letter. She’s much stronger now. Emmie had continued writing, but had not received any replies. This letter wasn’t the usual slim envelope. It was longer and a bit thicker. “Dez.” Emelina paused. “This is unusual.” She was with her sister, who had come to the Estate for the week. Having time off from work, Dez had packed a small suitcase and come out to her orchard, now devoid of all but a few apples. “Let me see that, Em.” Emelina had taken the mail up to the living room to open the thicker letter. The others, the gas bill, the water bill, she delivered to Digby on her way past his office. In hushed tones, she said “Dez, it’s the adoption papers.” Her sister picked up a page of paper from where it had drifted down beside the sofa. Gently she said “Here Em. I think this slipped out………..” She glanced at it while handing it to her sister. “Em, it’s a copy of the photo and your name: ‘Emelina Eliot’.” Slowly, Emelina stood and reached for the copied photo and, along with the adoption papers, took them to the dining room table. Setting them down carefully, she looked out past the window to the land outside. Her hands felt for the papers. Finding them, she dropped her gaze and spread them out, much as Carrie’s father had when he and his wife were telling Carrie of her birth. “The adoption papers are copies too, Dez. See, it’s stamped up in the corner.” Emelina picked up the letter, written in Carrie’s careful much stronger hand. Pacing, she started reading.

Hello Emelina, 
It was lovely to meet you even if we were behind our masks and not able to touch. I was surprised at how little I felt that day except for how very tired I was. Beginning to feel like I was incredibly alone in this world, your visit was like a great breath of fresh air.

I have more reason to write this letter than usual. I did call my parents that day while the social worker was here. My father was frantic. They had been trying to contact me, but with my cell phone confiscated, all they got was voicemail. Dad had just been talking to the RCMP to search for me. With my mom in the hospital and me missing, he was frightened. Mom isn't sick with the virus, but apparently had a mild stroke. She will have to be in rehab for a time. I am going home to Ontario within the next few days. My dad needs me. I may not be much help as I am still recovering, but at least I’ll be there with them. 

I may be  gone when you get this letter. I wanted you to at least have copies of these so you can let me know if this picture is of you and the signatures are of your parents. I’m sorry to have not let you know sooner, but I’ve been extremely upset. I’ve enclosed my address and telephone number …….. 

Emmie couldn’t finish reading the letter. “Here Dez. I can’t finish it. How could it end like this??” Emmie was furious. Furious at Jeremy for getting her mixed up in this. Furious at Carrie for just leaving. Furious at herself for buying into the whole thing.

Dez continued reading aloud ….. “I’ve enclosed my address and telephone number. I suspect you must be angry with this situation. I think I understand. Be well, Emelina. Please call me.

Your good friend,
Carrie Tyler (Carter)
p.s. we still have much to discuss.

“You need to make time for your family no matter what happens in your life.”
~ Matthew Quick, The Silver Linings Playbook

No comments: