Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

John and Enid


 “John, if we don’t get started, we’ll never get across the lake until after dark. All the best nesting sites will be gone. And you’re telegraphing the rest of the flock to tell them what. That we’re taking our time so we can get the last………”


“Enid, I’m not just ‘telegraphing the rest of the flock’ and we’ll get there just fine. Have you forgotten - we can see in the dark and we’ve nested in the same spot for fifteen years.” 


“Oh, I’m sorry John, it’s just that I’m tired. We’ve been flying all day and I just want to settle for the night.”


~~~~~


We don’t know when exactly John and Enid got across the lake. But, as the sun set and the moon rose, all the flock settled. Only an occasional sharp honk punctured the night.


“Instinct is something which transcends knowledge.”

~ Nikola Tesla, My Inventions


No comments: