Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Then and Now

Rolling into retirement in 2019 

 ~ no intention of anything ~

stay home or go out ~ my choice ~ rest and recuperate.


But ~

hidden away in my mind’s recesses 

whispered expectations drifted into view ~

a stereotype 

a mirage 

positively ancient,

soon to be so decrepit 

that I would crumble 

like a block of concrete

exposed to wind, rain and the elements of time.


Then ~

a pandemic stirred itself inexorably into the mix. 

Taking one step at a time 

on this very rocky path

breathing many deep breaths, 

life tossed in the air 

I landed on the prairies with family ~ 


Now ~

Life has slowed and slowed 

 ~ to the centre of me ~

stay home or go out ~ my choice

   Calm and energized.


“Girls, you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.”

~ Tori Amos, Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel

No comments: