Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Life's Journey

1988 St. Mary of the Plains Newsletter
Lubbock, Texas
Orientation day.

Retiring in 2019, I spent an hour or so a day culling papers and nursing journals. I’ve culled my hard copy photos before. Several times. The last time was just two years ago when I shifted my life east from Vancouver Island to my longed for prairies. I really thought I had cut up, cut out and threw out any duplicate photos. To my surprise this afternoon, I still have many.


But that’s not important. In all the photos, I’ve seen life lived in each place I have landed. I have often wondered about the value of these photographs of smiling faces and distant places. Generations of family, colleagues and many, many friends. I don’t look at them every day, or even every year! Pretty ordinary. But when I make my attempts at getting rid of these memories, it always pulls me back to moving forward from a teenager singing in the choir to a senior citizen planning her retirement. Becoming part of a next generation seeing the blossoming of new generations. The value of the photographs does not pay the rent, or buy groceries but shows us our life’s journey.


“A good snapshot keeps a moment from running away.”

~ Eudora Welty


 

No comments: